Saturday, December 6, 2014 – I’m glad Seattle is one of those cities that I can fly to within just a couple hours in the morning and then fly back home to sleep in my own bed. The benefits of being young, efficient, and living in San Francisco. I had an aggressive itinerary of food, food, site seeing, and food, and I’m glad to say that day trip was a success. My flight was delayed and I landed around 12:30pm but I didn’t let the delay hold me back. It just meant I had less time to digest between meals. Let’s go …
After grabbing the rental car (which was only $20 for the day!), I headed straight to Pike’s Place Market to visit three foods and two landmarks:
1. Piroshky Piroshky – The overrated smoked salmon pate was worth it.
2. Beecher’s Handmade Cheese – Some say it’s the best mac n cheese around. It’s definitely somewhere way up there on my list.
3. Pike Place Chowder – My favorite clam chowder of all time. I just got their classic. Their overrated crab roll was … overrated.
4. Pike Place Market Gum Wall – Pretty disgusting, but hey, it’s a tourist must-visit.
5. Rachel the Pig at Pike’s Place Market – Also on the tourist must visit and take picture with list.
Then, it was time for lunch.
6. Serious Pie – The original location on Virginia (near Pike’s Place) had an insane wait, but fortunately the Westlake location was not too far, this one being called Serious Pie and Biscuit. This Tom Douglas institute serves thin crust pizzas (and yummy dessert pies) that is among the best.
7. Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream – Because #jonaslovesicecream. Waffle cones made fresh. I wouldn’t say this was the best, though this is probably the most popular in Seattle, but this branch was conveniently located right under …
8. Din Tai Fung 鼎泰豐 – I hate waits, especially during a day trip, but it was only a 30 min wait that was easily killed by eating ice cream. I like to eat at DTFs around the world, so this was a must visit. No other place makes soup dumplings the way DTF does. Enough said. Now I just need to visit the one in Bellevue.
Okay, seriously stuffed. Only 4 hour shave past since I took my first bite.
9. Kerry Park – For an amazing evening view of the Seattle skyline, which included the Space Needle.
10. Seattle Coffee Works – I know I said I was stuffed, but you can’t leave Seattle without drinking coffee, plus their mochas (both dark and white) were pretty.
By 5:30pm I was on my way back to the airport for my 7pm flight (which was delayed again!!!). Oh, and I had to get gas before returning the car. Total? $4.27! 🙂